Our heritage

We are the leading provider of supported online learning for the Built Environment; with over 95 years’ experience in providing the highest quality learning opportunities for the industry. We were founded in 1919.

 

UCEM milestones

 
 
1891
1919
1919
1919
1922
1928
1929
1939
1959
1964
1967
1973
1977
1984
1987
1988
1989
1995
1998
2001
2009
2013
2015
2016
 
 
1891

Richard Parry starts practice as a surveyor in Parliament Street, London. Parry (born 1866) was the eldest son of Albert Parry, Borough Engineer of Reading. He complements his work as a surveyor by coaching pupils for the examinations of the Surveyor’s Institution

1891

Richard Parry starts practice as a surveyor in Parliament Street, London. Parry (born 1866) was the eldest son of Albert Parry, Borough Engineer of Reading. He complements his work as a surveyor by coaching pupils for the examinations of the Surveyor’s Institution

1891

Richard Parry starts practice as a surveyor in Parliament Street, London. Parry (born 1866) was the eldest son of Albert Parry, Borough Engineer of Reading. He complements his work as a surveyor by coaching pupils for the examinations of the Surveyor’s Institution

1919

Sir William Wells, in his presidential address to the Auctioneers’ and Estate Agents’ Institute proposes the establishment of a college dealing exclusively with estate management and related subjects

1919

The College of Estate Management (CEM) is founded under the auspices of the Chartered Auctioneers’ and Estate Agent’s Institute

1919

Purchase of 35 Lincoln’s Inn Fields in London, the original home of the College

1922

Grant of Royal Charter

1928

Coat of arms approved

1929

Associated with the Chartered Land Agents’ Society

1939

358 full time students, 480 evening class students, 3774 postal programme students

1959

CEM develops its own Diplomas in Estate Management and Quantity Surveying

1964

College Property Award is established to be awarded annually to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the UK property sector

1967

CEM becomes associated with the University of Reading. Full time students became part of the University. Correspondence programme students remain part of the College

1973

The College builds new premises on the University of Reading campus at Whiteknights

1977

Her Majesty the Queen grants her patronage to the College

1984

In-house teaching for companies is launched

1987

The Chartered Societies recognise the College Diplomas as exempting qualifications

1988

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales accepts an invitation to become President of the College

1989

The College buys Shinfield Grange to provide additional teaching space

1995

Students in 80 countries

1998

Her Majesty the Queen relinquishes her patronage and His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales becomes Patron of the College

2001

Launch of first College Virtual Learning Environment to provide programme material electronically

2009

Launch of new Virtual Learning Environment

2013

Taught Degree Awarding Powers granted

2015

Achieved university college title and became the University College of Estate Management (UCEM)

2016

UCEM leave the University of Reading campus and move in to Horizons, their new BREEAM rated excellent premises

2016

UCEM leave the University of Reading campus and move in to Horizons, their new BREEAM rated excellent premises

2016

UCEM leave the University of Reading campus and move in to Horizons, their new BREEAM rated excellent premises

College Principals (and date of appointment)

  • Richard Parry (1919)
  • B.W Adkin (1924)
  • Colonel S.J. Worsley (1945)
  • Robert Jardine Brown (1955)
  • P.N Brook (1972)
  • P.W Huntsman (1981)
  • Peter Goodacre (1992)
  • Ann Heywood (2007)
  • Ashley Wheaton (2013)