It’s time to get started


Whether you’re at the very beginning of your career, looking for a course to upskill yourself, or you’re ready to take your career to the next stages with a specialist programme, we’re here to guide you every step of the way.

How to apply to be a student

To apply for one of our programmes at UCEM, please use our online application form which is accessed using the APPLY NOW tab on the right hand side of every web page or the APPLY NOW button on the individual programme pages.

Our application form is very easy to use and the video below will guide you through every step of the application process. You can save your application at any time and come back to complete it later. Remember to ensure you submit your application by the relevant application deadline which can be found on the individual programme pages.

How to apply to be an apprentice

If you wish to apply for an apprenticeship programme, the admissions process is slightly different. See specific guidance on applying for an apprenticeship.

Before you apply

Please read the information below before starting your application:

  • Please ensure you are familiar with the programme entry requirements and time commitments. These can be found on the relevant programme page on our website. If you have any questions at this stage, please contact our friendly enquiries team via live chat or on the details at the bottom of this page.
  • Please provide as much information as possible when completing the application form. You should ensure you have details of all your qualifications and employment history to hand as you will be asked to provide this information when completing the form.
  • You will also be required to provide supporting documentation with your application form, such as verified* proof of identification, verified* qualification certificates, CV or resume, academic transcript and syllabus information (if you wish to apply for credit transfer/exemptions)

*For more information on how to get your documents verified, please refer to our FAQs below.

  • Please note that we are unable to assess your application without copies of your qualification certificates. You will be prompted to upload these documents at the relevant section of the application form. If you are unable to upload your documents you can log back in to your application form and upload them later.
  • You will be notified by email when your application has been received by the admissions team. You should receive an initial decision on your application within 10 working days.
How to register

Registration is an important step on your journey to becoming a student. You’ll need to complete your registration and accept your offer for your chosen programme before you can begin your studies. Once your application has been accepted, you’ll receive an email inviting you to register. You’ll need to carefully read that email and complete your registration by following the link at the bottom of the email.

We’re here to help you every step of the way, so if you have any questions we would love to hear from you!

How to pay

Fees for our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are charged per semester.

Students should register and pay online by following the link provided in their invitation to register email. If you cannot locate your invitation to register, please contact the admissions team (new students) or the student advice team (existing students).

If you are a new student, you may be eligible to apply for a bursary or if you are an existing student, for financial support. Take a look at all our bursaries, scholarships and financial support schemes to see if you are eligible.

Please note that payment (or agreement to pay) is a condition of registration on all programmes.  There are several ways you can pay:

  • One-off payment
  • Monthly payments (For Spring 2024 semester the monthly instalments option is available to all students. However, from Autumn 2024 semester the monthly instalments option will only be available to students living in the UK, Channel Islands and The Isle of Man.
  • Sponsorship
  • Student loan from Student Finance England/Wales
  • Enhanced Learning Credits (ELCAS)

Explore our payment options further to see which is right for you.

If you are paying by student loan, employer sponsorship or ELCAS funding, you will be required to provide our finance office with relevant supporting information to enable your registration to be processed and for you to be able to complete your registration online.


View our admissions process guide for help on applying for one of our programs



What are the entry requirements?

Entry requirements vary depending on the programme. You can find the entry requirements for each programme on its individual web page.

I've been offered a place but my circumstances have changed. Can I defer?

It is possible to defer your entry to the next intake provided you have been invited to register. To submit your request, you can either log an enquiry via the applicant portal or email Offers may only be deferred once and only until the next available intake. Please note that the module fees are reviewed each academic year and therefore increases may apply.

Why do I need my documents verified?

As UCEM is a supported online learning University College, the admissions team are unable to view original copies of the qualifications or ID. Photocopies of your official documentation included with your application will need to be verified as a true and accurate copy. Having someone in a professional occupation verify your documents allows UCEM to check the authenticity of the documents without seeing them in person.

Who can verify my documents?

If you are based in the UK, the Post Office offer a documentation certification service.

If you are based outside of the UK or are not able to access a documentation certification service at your local Post Office, then your documents will need to be verified by someone in a professional occupation such as:

  • Doctor
  • Solicitor
  • Teacher
  • Police officer
  • Commissioner of Oaths
  • Manager/director of a company
  • Member or Fellow of a professional body such as RICS, CIOB, RIBA or a chartered accountant

IMPORTANT NOTE: The person verifying your documents cannot be related to you, living at the same address as you or in a relationship with you.

*For a full list of acceptable occupations and further information on accepted formats, please refer to the Admissions Verification Policy document.

What does the person verifying my documents need to write?

When getting your documents verified you will need to show the individual verifying your documents both the original document and the photocopy that you have provided as part of your application. If the person verifying your documents is satisfied that they are genuine copies of the original, they will need to write on the copy:

  • ‘I certify that this is a complete and accurate copy of the original’
  • Sign and date the document
  • Print their name clearly
  • Provide their professional membership number if applicable (i.e. RICS member) or provide their job title, company name, email address and telephone number. Please note if they are providing a membership number that is not for RICS, we will also require their contact details

Please note that this will need to be written on the front of every document that requires verification. We are unable to accept a piece of paper attached to a document; it will need to be written on the copy.

To view an example verified document, please see below:

Verified document example

Or please watch our short video for more information.

How do I apply for a Recognition of Prior Learning?

If you have studied a related subject to an equivalent or higher academic level, you may be eligible to transfer credit to one of our undergraduate programmes. If you wish to be considered for Recognition of Prior Learning, you must indicate this under the relevant section of the application form. We may also ask that you provide a full academic transcript and/or a programme syllabus to support your request for credit transfer/exemptions.

Module exemptions will only be considered at the application stage and no retrospective exemptions will be granted once study has commenced.

Further information can be found in our Code of Practice: Admissions and Recognition of Prior Learning.

What is UCEM's admissions policy?

We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for all students. The admissions policy is aimed to ensure fairness to all applicants and to meet the required legal obligations and university college policies. Our full policy can be found in our Code of Practice: Admissions and Recognition of Prior Learning Policy.

What is a transcript?

A transcript is a document detailing modules taken during a programme. It should show information such as the grades achieved for each module, the number of credit points, academic level and the award classification.

What is a diploma supplement?

A diploma supplement is a comprehensive transcript that provides information on the subject area, level, context and status of the programme completed. They should also list the modules and grades completed during the programme.

What is a syllabus?

A syllabus is a document that outlines the topics covered during a programme. It should also contain information such as how the programme is assessed and the credit value of each module.

What is a Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL)?

RPEL is a process that allows people to receive formal recognition for the skills and knowledge they have already gained through relevant work experience.

All RPEL applications will be assessed individually by the programme leader. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that relevant, practical experience has been gained. RPEL will not be considered for credit transfer onto a UCEM programme.

When can I start my RICS APC

You will be able to find the most up to date information on starting your APC on the RICS website.

Do I have to travel somewhere to sit exams?

UCEM no longer uses exams as a form of assessment and students are not required to travel to specific venues for assessments. All assessments will be submitted online.

Are any of your programmes registered with the UK Border Agency?

As all our programmes are via supported online learning and students are not required to come to the UK to study, we are not a registered training provider for the UK Border Agency.

Can I register for an NUS Extra/Totum card?

Totum has now replaced NUS Extra. Yes, as soon as you have registered for your programme you will be able to apply for a Totum card. To apply, please visit the NUS website and ensure you have your student number handy as you will need to enter the first seven digits to confirm your student ID.



Does UCEM have a library?

The UCEM e-library is a comprehensive, accessible and valuable online library, enabling staff and students to access a wealth of subject-specific and credible information to support students throughout their studies and supplement teaching and learning materials.

What do I do when I've registered for my programme?

As a new student of ours it is very important that you are prepared for study before you start your programme. You may not have studied for a while, or may be new to studying online.

Four weeks before your programme starts you will be given online access to the induction module which provides guidance on how to use the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and eLearning resources on key topics including understanding your learning style, how to manage your time, and how to reference your work.

In addition, you’ll be invited to join a Welcome Programme in the week before you join where you can meet your fellow students and your support teams, get signposted to all the help available and ask any questions that you have.

When do I get access to the VLE?

Once you have registered as a student and paid your fees you should receive an email giving you a username and password to the Virtual Learning Environment either:

  • Approximately four weeks before the programme starts, or
  • Up to two working days after you have paid (if this was after the programme start date)
Will I get access to a student email account?

You will receive your own UCEM student email address after you have enrolled with us, enabling you to have a centralised point for all study related matters and access to a range of benefits.

How will I receive my study materials?

All your study materials are provided online through the Virtual Learning Environment. The material is provided in a format that you can read on a mobile device, enabling you to complete your studies wherever you are, whenever you like.

As a UCEM student you will be given access to our e-library, which contains journals, e-books and reference material to support your studies.

What support will I get?

With us you are supported every step of the way. The student advice team is your main point of contact throughout. The academic team will guide and support your learning. We have dedicated teams to provide support for assignments, exams and technical issues. You’ll also have access to a wealth of library and online materials to support your studies.


How much time will I need to spend studying?

The amount of study required varies by programme, so please check individual programme details to find out how much time you will need to commit. You will find these on the programme pages of our website.

How will I be assessed?

The types of assessments used on our programmes will include coursework (such as essays, reports, portfolios, reflections, problem or short questions or video presentations), computer based assessments, and computer marked assessments (CMAs). The exact combinations of assessment will vary from module to module. All of our assessments are submitted online so there should be no need to travel to, or attend a specific venue, for your assessments.

What happens if my circumstances change?

If your personal circumstances change for any reason, either at home or work in a way that might affect your studies or assessment performance, you should notify us immediately – we have a large support team ready to help you!



How do I make a payment following a failed instalment on my payment plan?

Make a single payment towards your outstanding fees

Do not use this link to make payments for registration. For the registration link please refer to your email invitation to register.

What are the qualifying criteria for bursary awards? Are there any exclusions?

Upon applying for a bursary award, you must have been offered a place on one of our UCEM programmes, having satisfied all of the usual eligibility conditions. More details for each bursary scheme can be found on the financial support section of our website. There are no exclusions for our bursary schemes, but they are designed to assist those on lower incomes or in need (which you will be required to justify).

What happens if I miss assignments or assessments due to non-payment of fees?

You should contact the Student Advice Team in the first instance via Student Central. Please note, UCEM accepts no liability for assignments or assessments missed due to fee non-payment issues. If you miss any assessments, you will be required to participate in the next resubmission attempt(s) for a capped mark(s). If you do not complete and pass the resubmission attempts, you will have to complete a full retake of the module(s) at the next available opportunity, when you will incur a re-take fee(s) and the mark(s) will be capped.

What should I do if my financial circumstances change?

You should email the finance office immediately at to inform us of your circumstances. We can highlight the support available and put plans in place to help manage your situation.

Please note that if you do not contact the finance office within two weeks of the date of your first demand for payment, you will lose access to the VLE and Student Central. Continued outstanding fee payments will result in you being withdrawn from your programme.

How do I register for my chosen programme with an approved Student Finance loan?

If you are an undergraduate student and your student finance loan has been approved, contact the Finance Team via email on to update your record to register with the loan.

If you are a postgraduate student and your student finance loan has been approved, you can register yourself directly through the payment portal by choosing one of the payment methods. You can contact the Finance Team via email on for an alternative payment plan option to coincide with the postgraduate loan payments.

How do I register if my employer is covering my tuition fees?

We would first ask that your employer completes a sponsorship agreement form which is returned to the UCEM Finance Team via email on Please note that if your employer requires our invoicing to reflect a valid purchase order number, please provide this alongside the sponsorship agreement form. We will then update your student account so when your registration for the semester is completed, your employer will be invoiced automatically.

We have 30-day payment terms, and we require a remittance advice to be sent to when the payment has been processed, otherwise the payment may remain unallocated. If the sponsorship agreement does not cover the full amount of fees required to register, you will then be required to pay the remaining balance using one of our other payment options such as through monthly instalments. Students are liable for any fees not paid for by the sponsor.

How do I register if I wish to pay by cheque or bank transfer?

If you are unable to pay by debit/credit card or Paypal, please choose the alternative payment options on the registration portal. Our bank details will be available on the page. Please be advised that the full semester’s fee payment is required if you make the bank transfer. When making the payment, please put your student number as reference and then send a proof of the payment to Once the bank transfer is received, you will be contacted with instructions to complete your registration.

You can also send us a cheque in GBP for the full amount of your fees for the semester. Once we receive the cheque, you will be contacted with instructions to complete your registration.