How do I apply?

You can apply for programmes online. The link to the online application form is on the top right hand corner of the UCEM website.

Please see our short video which explains how to apply and visit this webpage with instructions.

Can you explain the application process?

After submitting your application you will receive an email with a link to your applicant portal. A copy of your application form will also be attached for your records. You can use the applicant portal to track the progress of your application, upload additional supporting information, update your personal details, log an enquiry, access FAQs and view UCEM policies and other useful information.

Your application will then be assessed by a member of the Admissions Team within 10 working days. If you have applied for credit transfer, or if you do not meet the standard entry requirements for the programme, your application may be referred to the Programme Leader for a decision.

Once your application has been assessed you will be sent an email confirming our decision. Successful applicants will be sent information on how to register and pay for their programme in their offer email. A member of our Admissions Team will also telephone you in case you have any questions. If we are unable to offer you a place on your chosen programme we will provide information on next steps and alternative programmes in your email.

Please note that we are unable to assess your application without seeing copies of your qualification certificates. If you do not upload certificates to your application form before submitting it to us you can log in to the applicant portal and upload them later.  Your application may be put on hold and a decision postponed until we receive copies of your documents. You will be sent an email to notify you if your application is being put on hold.

What are the entry requirements?

Entry requirements vary depending on the programme. You can find the entry requirements for each programme on the relevant page of the UCEM website.

I've been offered a place on a programme, but my circumstances have changed. Can I defer my entry to the next intake?

It is possible to defer your entry to the next intake provided you have been invited to register. To submit your request, you can either log an enquiry via the applicant portal or email Offers may only be deferred once and only until the next available intake. Please note that the module fees are reviewed each academic year and therefore increases may apply.

Why do I need my documents verified?

As UCEM is a supported online learning University College, the Admissions team are unable to view original copies of the qualifications or ID. Photocopies of your official documentation included with your application will need to be verified as a true and accurate copy. Having someone in a professional occupation verify your documents allows UCEM to check the authenticity of the documents without seeing them in person.

Who can verify my documents?

If you are based in the UK, the Post Office offer a documentation certification service. You can find more information on their website:

If you are based outside of the UK or are not able to access a documentation certification service at your local Post Office, then your documents will need to be verified by someone in a professional occupation such as:

  • Doctor
  • Solicitor
  • Teacher
  • Police Officer
  • Commissioner of Oaths
  • Manager/Director of a company
  • Member or Fellow of a professional body such as RICS, CIOB, RIBA or a Chartered Accountant

IMPORTANT NOTE: The person verifying your documents cannot be related to you, living at the same address as you or in a relationship with you.

What does the person verifying my documents need to write?

When getting your documents verified you will need to show the individual verifying your documents both the original document and the photocopy that you have provided as part of your application. If the person verifying your documents is satisfied that they are genuine copies of the original, they will need to write on the copy:

  • ‘I certify that this is a complete and accurate copy of the original’
  • Sign and date the document
  • Print their name clearly
  • Provide their professional membership number if applicable (i.e. RICS member) or provide their job title, company name, email address and telephone number. Please note if they are providing a membership number that is not for RICS, we will also require their contact details

Please note that this will need to be written on the front of every document that requires verification. We are unable to accept a piece of paper attached to a document; it will need to be written on the copy.

To view an example verified document, please see below:

Verified document example

Or please watch our short video for more information.

Can I apply for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning)?

If you have studied a related subject to an equivalent or higher academic level, you may be eligible to transfer credit to one of our undergraduate programmes.

If you wish to be considered for Recognition of Prior Learning, you must indicate this under the relevant section of the application form. We may also ask that you provide a full academic transcript and/or a programme syllabus to support your request for credit transfer/exemptions.

Module exemptions will only be considered at the application stage and no retrospective exemptions will be granted once study has commenced.

Further information can be found in our Code of Practice: Admissions and Recognition of Prior Learning.

What is UCEM's Admissions Policy?

We are committed to promoting equal opportunities for all students. The Admissions Policy is aimed to ensure fairness to all applicants and to meet the required legal obligations and university college policies. Our full policy can be found in our Code of Practice: Admissions and Recognition of Prior Learning Policy.

What is a transcript?

A transcript is a document detailing modules taken during a programme. It should show information such as the grades achieved for each module, the number of credit points, academic level and the award classification.

What is a diploma supplement?

A diploma supplement is a comprehensive transcript that provides information on the subject area, level, context and status of the programme completed. They should also list the modules and grades completed during the programme.

What is a syllabus?

A syllabus is a document that outlines the topics covered during a programme. It should also contain information such as how the programme is assessed and the credit value of each module.

What is RPEL?

RPEL stands for ‘Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning’

RPEL is a process that allows people to receive formal recognition for the skills and knowledge they have already gained through relevant work experience.

All RPEL applications will be assessed individually by the Programme Leader. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that relevant, practical experience has been gained.

RPEL will not be considered for credit transfer onto a UCEM programme.

When can I start the RICS APC?

Please contact RICS directly. Their website is

Where will I sit my exams?

UCEM no longer uses exams as a form of assessment, and students are not required to travel to specific venues for assessments. All assessments will be submitted online.

Are any of your courses registered with the UK Border Agency?

As all our programmes are via supported online learning and students are not required to come to the UK to study, we are not a registered training provider for the UK Border Agency.

Once I have registered and paid for my programme can I apply for an NUS Extra/Totum card?

Totum has now replaced NUS Extra. Yes, as soon as you have registered for your programme you will be able to apply for a Totum card. To apply please visit the NUS website; please ensure you have your student number handy as you will need to enter the first 7 digits to confirm your student ID.

Does UCEM have a library, or am I able to access other university libraries?

The UCEM e-Library is a comprehensive, accessible and valuable online library, enabling staff and students to access a wealth of subject-specific and credible information to support students throughout their studies and supplement teaching and learning materials.

Depending upon your location you may have access to local library facilities, please contact the Student Engagement Team for information. However, UCEM is not a member of the Libraries Plus Scheme.

Is UCEM a member of SCONUL?

UCEM is currently not eligible for SCONUL membership.  We are however able to issue letters providing a student is studying with UCEM that can be used at a local university library. Note this not always guarantee full borrowing rights.

What do I do when I have registered for my programme?

As a new student of ours it is very important that you are prepared for study before you start your programme. You may not have studied for a while, or may be new to studying online.

Four weeks before your programme starts you will be given online access to the Induction Module. The Induction Module provides guidance on how to use the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), and eLearning resources on key topics including understanding your learning style, how to manage your time, and how to reference your work.

The Induction Module equips you with all the information you need to know, and also includes an opportunity for you to get to know your peers online before the programme commences.

When do I get access to the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)?

Once you have registered as a student and paid your fees you should receive an email giving you a username and password to the Virtual Learning Environment either:

  • Approximately four weeks before the programme starts, or
  • Up to two working days after you have paid (if this was after the programme start date)

Will I get access to a student email account?

All students receive their own UCEM student email address after they have enrolled with us, enabling them to have a centralised point for all study related matters and access to a range of benefits.

How do I receive my study materials?

All your study materials are provided online through the Virtual Learning Environment. The material is provided in a format that you can read on a mobile device, enabling you to complete your studies wherever you are, whenever you like.

As a UCEM student you will be given access to our e-Library, which contains journals, e-books and reference material to support your studies.

What support will I get?

With us you are supported every step of the way. The Student Advice Team are you main point of contact throughout. The Academic Team will guide and support your learning. We have dedicated teams to provide support for assignments, exams and technical issues. You’ll have access to a wealth of library and online materials to support your studies. More information can be found here.

How much time will it take each week?

The amount of study required varies by programme, so please check individual programme details to find out how much time you will need to commit. You will find these on the programme pages of our website.

How will I be assessed while studying at UCEM?

The types of assessments used on our programmes will include coursework (such as essays, reports, portfolios, reflections, problem or short questions or video presentations), computer based assessments, and computer marked assessments (CMAs). The exact combinations of assessment will vary from module to module. All of our assessments are submitted online so there should be no need to travel to, or attend a specific venue, for your assessments.

What happens if my circumstances change?

If your personal circumstances change for any reason, either at home or work in a way that might affect your studies or assessment performance, you should notify us immediately.

How do I pay?

Full information on the various ways in which you can fund your studies can be found here. The link to pay is on the top right hand corner of the UCEM website.

When do I have to pay?

Students will have a variety of funding arrangements. Those paying their own fees will be required to make a full or part payment prior to registering on their course and ideally as early as possible after receiving an offer of a place.

How can I pay for my programme fees?

You can find information on payment methods by clicking here

Can I get financial assistance?

We offer a number of bursary and financial support schemes. Information on these can be found here.

What happens if my circumstances change and I am unable to continue making my payments towards my programme fees?

You should contact the Finance office immediately to discuss your circumstances. Please phone +44(0) 118 4677910 or email

What happens if I am unable to continue making my payments towards my programme fees but do not contact the Finance office?

If you do not contact the Finance office within two weeks of the date of your first demand for payment, you will lose access to the VLE and Student Central. Continued outstanding fee payments will result in you being withdrawn from your programme.

What happens if I miss assignments or assessments due to non-payment of my fees?

You should contact Student Central in the first instance. Please note, any assignments missed may result in you having to complete a re-take at the next available opportunity and you will incur a re-take charge. UCEM accepts no liability for assignments or assessments missed due to fee non-payment issues.

What bursaries are available for new students?

Our bursary scheme is designed to assist those new students who are able to demonstrate need. It is open to new students from all countries and will provide a discount on fees for the duration of the programme. Find out more.

Is funding available for all programmes?

The funding is aimed at helping new students studying undergraduate programmes and is therefore only available for the Bachelors programmes.

Can anyone apply for the financial assistance package?

Yes, applications are welcome from students from any country.

Are there any qualifying criteria for bursary awards?

Yes, you must first be offered a place on the programme, having satisfied all of the usual eligibility criteria.

Are there any exclusions for bursary awards?

No, but the scheme is designed to assist those on lower incomes or in need (which you will be required to justify).

Is there any financial assistance available to existing students?

There is the Redundancy Support Scheme and the Principal’s Discretionary Fund

How do I apply for assistance from the Redundancy Support Scheme?

There is a potential discount of up to 75% available for those who find themselves out of work due to redundancy at the time of re-registration. This package is open to existing students on all of the university college’s programmes from all countries.

Once in receipt of a student registration agreement offering you a place for the next intake of the programme you are studying, complete the Redundancy Support Scheme application form and submit it with the necessary documentation to UCEM.

How do I apply for assistance from the Principal's Discretionary Fund?

The Principal’s discretionary fund can award bursaries to assist current UCEM students in financial difficulties due to sudden and unexpected circumstances, who may not meet the criteria of the university college’s other bursary schemes.

This may include, for example, financial help for students who suffer serious ill health or are having to cope with a family bereavement. To apply for assistance from this fund, students should write, in the first instance, to the Principal setting out full details of the circumstances via email and send it to All requests will be dealt with on a confidential basis.

If I have paid my fees in full will I receive a refund?

Refunds will only be made in certain circumstances and in accordance with UCEM’s Refund Policy