The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) is an independent body which was established to safeguard standards and improve the quality of UK higher education. To do this, they carry out reviews of providers delivering higher education.
UCEM underwent QAA Higher Education Review (Alternative Providers) between 20 – 22 September 2016. The QAA Review team formed the following judgements about the higher education provision at UCEM.
- The setting and maintenance of the academic standards of the awards offered by the provider and the maintenance of the academic standards of the awards offered on behalf of degree-awarding bodies meets UK expectations
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations
As part of the review UCEM was assessed against the expectations relating to the four judgements set out in the UK Quality Code for Higher Education in terms of whether it meets the expectation, and the level of risk associated with the outcome. UCEM met expectations and was assessed as being low risk in all areas, which is an excellent outcome.
The QAA review team also identified the following features of good practice at UCEM.
- The robust assessment design and approval procedures that utilise the expertise of both academic and professional staff
- The use of integrated academic and support teams to take a strategic and collegiate approach to the design, delivery and support of student learning opportunities
An action plan detailing UCEM’s response to the areas of good practice, recommendations and affirmations is available to view here.
QAA Annual Monitoring for Specific Course Designation
UCEM received a commendable outcome from the monitoring visit by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) in 2017 and submitted an annual return in July 2018 that demonstrates that we are continuing to maintain academic standards and enhance the quality of student learning opportunities and information about learning opportunities.