UCEM is constantly listening to and reviewing student feedback gathered through surveys, focus groups, student representatives and ambassadors, module evaluations and on the VLE. We use this information to improve our programmes and make enhancements to your experience. Here are just some of the changes that we’ve made as a response to your feedback.
Assessment and feedback
- You wanted more consistency and that you wanted to be able to use your feedback more easily
- You wanted faster response times
- You wanted clarity on how you could improve
- You wanted to have a way to feedback to the university and other students with ideas and comments in a way that would be timely and responsive
- All markers are now using a feedback template to ensure consistency
- We are piloting the Feedback Engagement and Tracking System (FEATS) with undergraduate students to provide support to use feedback to develop and identify your skills for your academic and professional lives
- We introduced an action plan on all Level 4 modules to improve response times and we will implement this across other levels and programmes over the next academic year
- You wanted faster response times and to be able to discuss your coursework and assignments on a regular basis.
- We brought in a team of academic support tutors who are there to support you in your studies. They have been able to identify when extra support is required, and they work closely with all our tutors and students to provide advice and guidance across all levels of programmes.
- You wanted more opportunities to talk with and meet with your fellow students from around the world and to participate in events
- You wanted to meet with our staff and visit our offices in Reading, UK
- You wanted to sign up for student discounts
- We have developed a student community website with a range of opportunities to get involved in the development of programmes, to meet other students, participate in local meet ups with other students
- We have revamped the People’s Property Network (PPN) to bring together our staff and students as well as industry professionals
- We introduced Office 365 to provide UCEM email addresses to our students as well as providing the Office suite of Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- We have introduced student discounts through Totum
- We have introduced our Transform project, redesigning our online learning provision to be more engaging and with better opportunities to learn together
- You would like navigating the library to be more intuitive and you wanted more instructions on accessing external resources
- You would like the VLE to feature a wider range of content types
- You would like webinars and material to be more interactive
- Our Transform programme of module development is formed around interactivity and active learning. Our modules are being reviewed and will be developed ready for Autumn 2020.
- We have reviewed the webinar software and introduced Zoom. Zoom is much more flexible and encourages a video first approach.
Organisation and management
- Webinars were not always at times suitable for those working full time
- Exam centres were not always located in suitable places
- You would like more webinars
- We will move to an exam-free system from Autumn 2020
- You’d like to have an opportunity to have ideas and suggestions discussed and shared with other students and staff
- We are reviewing our student representation structure and phasing in improvements over the next six months
- We have created four new student ambassador roles within UCEM: BAME, welfare, community and sustainability
Teaching on my programme
- You would like more interactivity within webinars
- You would like more diversity of teaching styles across programmes
- A core component of our ongoing Transform programme is to provide more engaging and interactive modules