Building Surveyor trainee/placement – The Englefield Estate
Posted on: 4 July, 2022
The Englefield Estate
Visit company website
Building Surveyor trainee/placement
The Englefield Estate is one of three Estates which form part of the Benyon family’s land and property interests. We are committed to delivering long-term economic, social and environmental benefits for each Estate and the wider communities within which we operate.
Working closely with the Building Manager, this is a newly created role which will support the delivery of building maintenance, improvement and project works across a diverse portfolio of mainly traditionally constructed residential, commercial, agricultural and other rural land and property on the 14,000 acre Englefield Estate in Berkshire and Hampshire. Our aim is to care for the Estate’s built and natural assets whilst providing occupiers with an efficient and effective service and the Estate’s mission, vision and values.
Supporting the Building Manager, the post holder will play a key role in the maintenance, repair and improvement of the wide range of buildings and structures across the Estate. Working closely with the Maintenance Manager too, this is a key role in maintaining and improving the condition of the Estate’s built assets, providing a professional service whilst ensuring the Estate meets its compliance obligations and delivers on carbon reduction and nature recovery agendas. A full job description is available for UCEM students on the Careers VLE pages.
Enquiries are welcome from students looking for a placement year, or employment post-graduation.
Experience, knowledge and skills required/preferred
- The successful candidate will ideally:
- Be educated to degree level (or currently studying)
- MRICS, MCIOB or working towards RICS or a similar, recognised qualification
- Have a good knowledge of construction, building techniques and good practice, including different forms of construction and areas of M&E.
- Experience of maintaining traditionally constructed properties, including Listed buildings, and project management.
- Have good reporting skills and experience.
- An understanding of CDM regulations, JCT contracts, Listed Building regulations.
- Ideally hold a Health and Safety qualification (e.g. IOSH Managing Safely) with good working knowledge of Health and
- Safety legislation.
- Excellent IT skills and experience of using asset management software for planned and reactive building maintenance
Personal qualities should include:
- Enthusiasm and capacity for hard work
- The successful candidate will be well organised, efficient, able to work quickly and accurately under pressure.
- Team working and supporting each other to produce better results is also very important at Englefield. This means being tactful, patient and courteous with others irrespective of their status, recognising when help is needed and offering support to others.
- Ability to communicate well and concisely – written and verbal.
- A cheerful approach with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Well organised with excellent attention to detail but able to prioritise.
- An interest in rural matters and the countryside would be an advantage.
- Full driving licence and access to own transport. Applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom
Qualification level required
Applicants accepted from all levels
Legal right to work
Applicants require a legal right to work in the UK for the role
Current driving licence
Salary and benefits
CV and covering letter sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information
Duncan Rands, Building Manager, The Englefield Estate at email@example.com