Employing an Apprentice

Apprenticeships can be used to develop the future skills of your business through development of existing members of your workforce or through recruitment of new members of staff. Apprenticeship levy funding can be used on all our apprenticeship programmes. Off-the-job training is delivered by UCEM via blended learning comprising supported online education and either face-to-face workshops/ masterclasses or one-to-one tutor/assessor contact.

Apprenticeships available:

Apprenticeship programmes available Academic qualification included  Academic qualification accredited by Levy payer* cost Non-levy payer* cost
Surveying Technician Apprenticeship (Level 3) Diploma £9,000 £450
Facilities Management Supervisor Apprenticeship (Level 3) Diploma IWFM £4,000 £200
Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship (Level 6) BSc (Hons) RICS, CABE £27,000 £1,350
Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship
(Level 7)
MBA Real Estate & Construction CMI, RICS, CIOB, CABE £18,000 £900

*Please see the Apprenticeship levy section below for more details.

Apprenticeships for non-levy paying employers may be partially via European Social Fund (ESF) match fund.


All applicants need to meet minimum programme entry requirements. For more information click through to our programme specific pages below.

Coming soon:

We will soon be opening up applications for the new Building Control Surveyor Apprenticeship starting in October 2019. This apprenticeship is subject to approval of the arrangements for end-point-assessments. Further information to follow shortly.

Infographic showing UCEM apprenticeships in numbers

If you are looking to employ an apprentice then you should know that apprenticeships:

  • Can be used to train new employees and retrain, or upskill existing employees
  • Are open to all age groups from age 16 upwards and have no upper age limit
  • Can add to a positive profile in relation to corporate social responsibility
  • Can increase diversity within the workforce at all levels
  • Comprising 20% off-the-job study and 80% work
  • Includes preparation for the professional body end point assessment, dependent on the qualification (e.g. L6 Chartered Surveyor APC preparation)*
  • Include the final end-point-assessment (AssocRICS, APC or MCMI).*UCEM can provide a counsellor at an additional cost.

Apprenticeship Levy:

All England based firms are eligible to access apprenticeship funds.

The apprenticeship levy was introduced on 6 April 2017. Currently, all UK employers with a paybill greater than £3 million per annum (and connected companies) are required to pay the apprenticeship levy at a rate of 0.5% of their total paybill per company.

All UK employers with a paybill less than £3 million per annum are required to make a 5% contribution to the cost of this training and government will pay the rest (95%), up to the maximum amount of government funding available for that apprenticeship.

Click here for further general information on the apprenticeship levy. Click here for further information on how the apprenticeship levy needs to be paid.