35 Lincoln’s Inn Fields

Posted on: 4 January, 2019

Wrought iron staircase

Wrought iron staircase currently at the V&A Museum, having been bequeathed by CEM in 1921. The staircase was originally in situ at 35 Lincoln’s Inn Fields.

The College of Estate Management’s first permanent home was at 35 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, which CEM inhabited from its purchase in 1921 until the Second World War.

Upon purchasing the property, CEM needed to remodel the interior in order to make the building suitable for its new educational purpose. This included removing an exquisite wrought iron staircase and balustrade, made in 1754 or earlier, in an intricate style akin to famous French Huguenot ironworker Jean Tijou.

In order to preserve the staircase, The College of Estate Management gifted it to the nation. On February 25th 1921, the piece was donated to the Victoria and Albert Museum, where it has been on display ever since.

To this day, you can view this artefact in room 54 of the Victoria and Albert Museum in Kensington.