Equality at UCEM
At UCEM a commitment to equality is embedded in all that we do. We celebrate diversity and the strengths that it brings to our staff body, our student community and our Board of Trustees, recognising that people are key to our success.
UCEM provides accessible, relevant and cost-effective education which enhances careers, increases professionalism and leads to a better built environment. Our mission has always been to provide flexible and affordable education to a worldwide, diverse student community. We aim to become the Centre of Excellence for Built Environment Education. Anyone wanting to study in a built environment discipline should be able to access the education we provide.
At UCEM, we are committed:
- to achieving equality for all those who learn and work here
- to providing equality of opportunity and freedom from unlawful discrimination
- to delivering courses that are accessible to all students, regardless of age, location or any protected characteristics
- to embedding a working and learning environment which makes all students, staff and Trustees feel part of a community, one which celebrates diversity and provides equal opportunities for all
- to challenging under-representation, discrimination and differences in outcomes.
At UCEM we are working to meet the objectives set out in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, our Code of Practice and in our Access and Participation Plan to ultimately widen participation in the Built Environment sector.
Amanda Clack, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, UCEM
Diversity in the Built Environment
The Built Environment needs a diverse workforce that reflects Britain’s diverse population. A workforce to utilise the innovation and technology needs by consumers in the built and natural environments.
Industry bodies including the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, the Construction Industry Training Board and the Chartered Institute of Building recognise the need and value of diversity in the industry and have developed policies and action plans to tackle barriers to entry, encourage a more diverse profession and grow the industry’s appeal to a broader population as a career of choice.
UCEM’s commitment to widening participation
At UCEM, we recognise that we have a role to play in widening participation and have specific goals to address this. These goals are embedded in our Access and Participation Plan. Read more about our Access and Participation Plan here (opens new link).
Our Outreach team works with student focus groups including representatives from our BAME students and users of our Disability and Wellbeing Service, so we hear the viewpoints of all of our students. We use their feedback to improve as an institution and be more inclusive.
UCEM works with a wide range of students, providing Access courses for those needing a route into Higher Education, accessible programmes for those in the military and services veterans, as well as our apprenticeship, undergraduate and post graduate programmes.
UCEM’s inclusivity pledge
We pledge to make everyone feel welcome in every aspect of our marketing communications, application process, operations and education.
- We listen to our representatives and ambassadors, our staff and our students, and we will learn from their stories to be empathetic with under-represented groups
- We question everything we do to through all under-represented group lenses to ensure it is fully inclusive
- We actively collaborate with campaigns and organisations who are pushing the widening participation agenda
- We are proud to drive change, and be seen to be driving change, both in our institution and in our industry
Student/staff focus groups
UCEM is working tirelessly to increase the number of students from under-represented groups and a vital part of this is understanding the experience of people from these groups of the higher education sector and the built environment industries.
Student/staff focus groups meet up to three times a year and are made up of students and staff from diverse backgrounds who share their stories with a view to impacting everything that UCEM does, not only in order to make EVERYONE feel that they are welcome here, but also to push for change in our industry.
The more people who take part in our focus groups, the more powerful they are! If you would like to take part in a focus group, please contact Nikki Bulteel.