Portsmouth City Council
Trainee Building Surveyor (Placement)
Portsmouth City Council is on the front line of public service. We’re facing challenging but exciting times and are looking for dedicated and innovative people to help us make our vision a reality. We are looking for people to join our Building Surveying Projects team who are currently studying an RICS accredited degree and are looking to gain practical building surveying and contract administration experience. Any relevant surveying work experience would be advantageous but is not essential.
We can offer a broad range of experience across our portfolio of 15,000 housing assets ranging from Victorian terrace houses through to new build properties as well as over 800 corporate assets, including commercial office buildings, leisure and educational facilities and unique buildings such as Southsea Castle and the Spinnaker Tower.
Whilst you will be given your own projects to understand we will always ensure that you have access to a range of Chartered Building Surveyors to pass on their knowledge to you and support your learning. Typical work would include;
- Project work ◦Feasibility studies
◦Preparing specifications and tender packages
◦Planning and building regulation applications
◦Contract Administration (JCT Suite)
◦Projects up to £250k
Qualifications/experience necessary or preferred
- Be studying for a RICS accredited undergraduate degree.
- Have a passion for Buildings and be keen to develop a career in Building Surveying.
- Be an excellent communicator and be able to work well in a team environment.
- Be extremely organised and display excellent attention to detail.
- Have basic CAD skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft packages.
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across Portsmouth and will need to travel effectively between them
Salary and benefits
- Full APC support
- Allocated mentor and 1-2-1 support
- Weekly supervisor meetings
- Tailored workload to ensure relevant experience is gained
Fully funded training courses
- Extensive benefits ◦Starting salary of £19,619p.a.
- 26 days leave with bank holidays on top
- Access to the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Flexible working hours
- Staff discounts at a range of companies including supermarkets and high street retailers
- Access to Graduate Building Surveyor positions with PCC
- Friendly work environment
For more details and applications see here: https://careers.portsmouth.gov.uk/jobs/2942-3611-trainee-building-surveyor/
Adam Hardwick on 023 9283 4502 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Adam Hardwick on 023 9283 4502 or email email@example.com
Monday 9th March 2020, 12:00 noon
Assessment Day: Wednesday 18th March 2020
Candidates who are shortlisted will be invited to attend an assessment day in Portsmouth. The assessment day is structured to reflect the actual work you will be undertaking and will be used to assess you building surveying knowledge, analytical skills and your personal / team working skills.
Candidates who successfully complete the assessment day will be invited for a final formal interview on a mutually agreeable date. The interview will focus on your own knowledge and personal experiences.