Portsmouth City Council
Graduate Building Surveyor
Portsmouth City Council is on the front line of public service. We’re facing challenging but exciting times and are looking for dedicated and innovative people to help us make our vision a reality. We are looking for people to join our Building Surveying Projects team who are currently studying an RICS accredited degree and are looking to gain practical building surveying and contract administration experience. Any relevant surveying work experience would be advantageous but is not essential.
We are fully committed to helping you develop and gain Chartered Membership of the RICS by providing an excellent structured Graduate programme to help you become a professionally qualified Building Surveyor.
We can offer a broad range of experience across our portfolio of 15,000 housing assets ranging from Victorian terrace houses through to new build properties as well as over 800 corporate assets, including commercial office buildings, leisure and educational facilities and unique buildings such as Southsea Castle and the Spinnaker Tower.
- Lead your own projects
- Feasibility studies
- Building surveys
- Preparing specifications and tender packages
- Planning and building regulation applications
- Contract Administration
- Project Management
- Client Management
- Projects up to £1million +
Qualifications/experience necessary or preferred
- Have a RICS accredited undergraduate degree or a RICS accredited Post-Graduate Diploma or Masters.
- Have a passion for Buildings and be keen to develop a career in Building Surveying.
- Be able to learn quickly and have an excellent work ethic to ensure objectives are met.
- Be an excellent communicator and be able to work well in a team environment.
- Be extremely organised and display excellent attention to detail.
- Have basic CAD skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft packages.
- Have a full driving licence and provide a car for work, as you will be visiting various sites across Portsmouth and will need to travel effectively between them.
Qualification Level Required
Have a RICS accredited undergraduate degree or a RICS accredited Post-Graduate Diploma or Masters
Salary and benefits
- Full APC support
- Allocated mentor and 1-2-1 support
- Monthly supervisor meetings
- Tailored workload to ensure relevant experience is gained
- Fully funded training courses
- Full mock interviews and extensive APC training regime
- 100% pass rate over last 6 years
- Extensive benefits
- Salary up to £34,787p.a
- 26 days leave with bank holidays on top
- Access to the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Flexible working hours
- Staff discounts at a range of companies including supermarkets and high street retailers
- Excellent future career progression within PCC
- Friendly work environment
For more details. See here https://careers.portsmouth.gov.uk/jobs/2943-3612-graduate-building-surveyor/
If you have any questions, or would like an informal discussion about the role, please call Adam Hardwick on 023 9283 4502 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday 9th March 2020, 12:00 noon
Assessment Day: Wednesday 18th March 2020
Candidates who are shortlisted will be invited to attend an assessment day in Portsmouth. The assessment day is structured to reflect the actual work you will be undertaking and will be used to assess you building surveying knowledge, analytical skills and your personal / team working skills.
Candidates who successfully complete the assessment day will be invited for a final formal interview on a mutually agreeable date. The interview will focus on your own knowledge and personal experiences.