Agency (Commercial or Residential)

Specialists in this area are concerned with the valuation, leasing, letting, purchase and sale of either residential or commercial properties.

Practice Area Agency (Commercial or Residential)
What skills are required?
  • Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with clients and other professionals
  • Commercial awareness
  • Drive and the ability to build relationships and networks and generate new business
  • General IT skills
  • Good organisational skills and time management
  • A driving licence is usually required to travel to properties
What qualifications are required?

The requirement for formal qualifications depends on where you work and what you do. Commercial Agents are often expected to have a non-cognate or RICS accredited degree and work towards Chartered status with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS). Some Residential Agents may also be Chartered Surveyors, particularly if working with complex or prestigious markets.

There are alternative qualifications for those working in Residential Sales or Lettings, which can often be achieved whilst working.

What is it like in practice?

Agents role are busy, varied and active.  You may need to work weekends and evenings.   The work can include meeting vendors or landlords to talk about marketing their property, researching local markets and trends and collecting evidence to reach an accurate market value.

You will be involved in different stages of the disposal, ensuring all paperwork is completed, managing the sale or letting as it processes and ensuring regulations are followed.

Work Environment Split between office and site work, with regular meetings with vendors and applicants.
Employment opportunities

Commercial Agents usually work for professional firms, who often recruit graduates on to graduate development programmes, giving participants the opportunity to work across a number of different departments before choosing their specialisms.  Smaller firms recruit all year round, offering both specialist and General Practice work.

Whilst many students have an RICS accredited degree, there are opportunities for non-cognate graduates to join a firm and study for a property qualification whilst working.

Estate Agencies regular recruit and often advertise locally and online.

There are also degree apprenticeships in Real Estate Surveying and Estate Agency available.

More information

Visit RICS (opens new window)

Visit Property Mark (opens new window)

Relevant UCEM programmes

BSc (Hons) Real Estate Management

MSc Real Estate

MBA Construction and Real Estate

You might like this role if you enjoy:

  • Working with different people, including the general public, clients and specialists
  • Doing deals and making transactions through leasing and selling properties

See more skills used in agency work:

  • Using verbal and written communication skills
  • Combining work in an office with visiting properties with clients